Sunday, June 10, 2007

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends

Lately, I have had few but great troubles.
They set me back and make me survive.
But instead of telling my troubles (for fear of losing my audience),
I will mention some small recurring theme that follows them.

In the last month I have repeatedly opened a book of poetry.
William Stafford's "An Oregon Message".
Whenever I would open the book, it would be at random,
in hopes that perhaps it would give me insight to my life at the moment.
(To give an idea, I maybe have opened the book at random 30 times or so).
More often than not, I feel that it does give me some clue to my life at hand.

Now in my past two (rather large) troubles that I've faced, I decided to open William Stafford to see if he can help me in anyway (at least a change of perspective). At those two times it keeps opening to the same poem (these are the only two times that I have opened the book to this).

It goes like this...

ULTIMATE PROBLEMS

In the Aztec design God crowds
into the little pea that is rolling
out of the picture.
All the rest extends bleaker
because God has gone away.

In the white man design, though,
no pea is there.
God is everywhere,
but hard to see.
The Aztecs frown at this.

How do you know he is everywhere?
And how did he get out of the pea?

NOW!
I keep having the same thoughts of the poem rehearsed to myself, and it's getting me nowhere.
I feel that there might be something really really really significant in it all.

Feedback?

6 comments:

Vans said...

Dude, get a different book to open at random. Do you always read into things that much? Dangerous. Cute, but dangerous.

Forrest said...

You know yourself better than anyone you can find out here. If you believe there is something to be found in this poem, than you probably already know whatever it is telling you and just haven't admitted this to yourself .

Peace-Keeper said...

Well all I saw was a good joke. :P
It's all about perspective....

However if another point of view will help then:

I also saw this poem asking about perspective. It is the mantra:

'question everything, let nothing be taken for granted.'

Laters!

Syhalla said...

So I'm blogging again, and you're welcome to read and comment. Just click my user name and it'll take you to my list of blogs.

Chase said...

Rick, Fred, I think you may be right.
I may be looking a little too deeply into things (that's why I could never read large novels, lol), and though I try to be honest with myself, I do find it hard to admit certain things.
I should just lighten up like Fred, life shouldent be so serious, even when in the depths of hell! ha ha.
Thanks.
-C

Anonymous said...

Great work.